Some Insight on the PA Program

It’s Friday morning. It’s 4:45 a.m. to be exact. I’m up and getting ready to start my day! Now, it’s not a class day. It’s work.  Along with taking 18 hours of class a week, I have the opportunity to be a graduate assistant.  It’s been such an amazing experience! I am able to learn all the behind the scenes action of the pathology lab! The PA program at Quinnipiac allows me to learn both in the classroom and in the laboratory.

The PA program at Quinnipiac University is amazing and challenging! While it can prove to be quite overwhelming sometimes, it only makes me want to prove why I’m here!  Deciding to move to CT was easy; dealing with being away from family and friends was a bit more challenging. Best advice for starting a graduate program away from home is to go with an open mind.  The first thing I did was find a comfortable place to live. In order to be successful, I knew I had to be in a place where I felt safe and happy. Next thing on the list was to make friends that would make the transition easier. Luckily, I found both! 

Some days I feel extremely overwhelmed with everything going on, but then I take a deep breath, organize my priorities and smile. You have to want to be here. You have to want to be in the program. You have to want to learn. You have to want to be challenged.  Those wants are what helps me be successful!  I am very grateful to have the opportunity to be a student in this reputable program. I know that the temporary anxious will all be well worth it once I start my career.

In the mean time I will focus on finishing the second semester with a great attitude and satisfactory grades! A little over a month’s time lies between me and being home for winter break. I will stay focused and dedicated to being a great learner. After all, as I learned in my lab management class this week, being a learner is a mega trait when hiring a new employee. Why not start now? Then, when the time comes, I can be adequately prepared to be a successful employee of any laboratory.

-Nancy Mendoza

Nancy graduated in 2009 from Baylor University with an undergraduate degree in Forensic Science and a minor in Chemistry. Subscribe to our feed for more posts from Nancy!

Leave a Response