QU's MAT Program & Student Teaching


This week has been bittersweet, as it is my very last week of graduate school classes! In retrospect, this master's program went by very fast, and I am going to miss going to classes. Wonderful professors, fascinating topics, a relaxed atmosphere,  and good friends have made the class experience, overall, a  very enjoyable one! Because every class consists of the same cohort of peers, our group has bonded, and I have looked forward to seeing them each night and debriefing about our internships.

Although the class portion of this master's program is coming to an end, there are some very important components coming up that I am eager to embark on. Most significantly, I am beginning student teaching next month! I will be student teaching in a fourth grade class at the school in which I am currently an intern. I have been spending time lately getting to know the students in this room, as well as my cooperating teacher, and I am so excited to work with this wonderful group daily. Student teaching lasts for ten weeks, during which I will be in the same classroom every day, gradually taking over for the teacher and running the day. The students in this class are very curious about working with a student teacher, and sometimes when I pass the students from this class in the hallway, I hear them whisper to each other, “That's her! Our student teacher!” I have so many ideas, lessons, and activities that I am planning to do with this group, and I know already that this experience will be intense, educational, and fun!

Aside from getting ready for student teaching, I am also working on my master's thesis, which is another important component of this master's program. My topic is about the use of educational, multicultural film in an urban fourth grade classroom, and I will soon begin my research within my internship school.

The master's of art in education (elementary ed.) is one that is so intensive and yet so enjoyable and worthwhile. My own teaching has progressed so much through this program.  By working in elementary schools for two years, I have gained so many skills that I believe are contributing to my efforts to be the best possible educator and mentor. I will be sure to keep you posted on my student teaching experiences and the weeks leading up to it!

Best,
Melanie Lubin

Melanie graduated in 2008 from Smith College with undergraduate degrees in film studies and anthropology. Subscribe to our feed for more posts from Melanie.

Leave a Response