A Final Ode to Joyous Teaching

The relatively free society that dominates the structure of American life has afforded many of us the opportunity to do something great—something that arguably can change the world. The past two years for me have been transformative indeed, a figurative pot of churning ingredients for personal progression that have spurred a revolution in my mind—in my sense of the world, the education landscape, and perhaps most importantly, my sense of self.

Finally, I can see the robust value of the “Master of Arts in Teaching” degree from Quinnipiac University. The full scope of this two year adventure has been put into focus by countless hours of erudition, reflection, and meaningful conversation regarding the crown jewel of our society: education. In these formative-educator years, nothing has been as significant in demanding that my identity be intrinsically linked to the students whose learning I care so deeply about.

Now, as this graduate program nears completion, I am the towering academic titan that I aspired to be as I earned my undergraduate degree from Rutgers just two short years ago. I am gratefully prepared to engage with the invariable range of emotions and demands of the high school landscape. I will boldly engage the seas of apathy, streams of tears, the burning desires to succeed, the hungry stomach roars, the rancorous bullying streaks, the high-fives and “you-da-man’s”, the “Mr. Hagewood, your name is tough to say” lines, the fearful glances, the embarrassed smiles, the light bulbs exploding in minds and hearts, and the most beautiful thing in the world to cap off the chaos: “Hey, Mr. Hagewood, thanks for making a difference in my life.”

I was hired as a full-time social studies teacher at a local district last month, and it may be the greatest thing that has ever happened to me. Now, I can only hope that my classes will be the stuff of champions: a place where students can learn, challenge previous heights, feel safe, and forever be convinced that learning is a fact when the heart and soul are dispatched to rip assumptions to shreds. I will be relentless, and it was my intense preparation at QU that enabled me to confidently stride forward in a world that is otherwise mired in skepticism and paralyzing self-doubt. I will succeed by carrying the fire.

Teaching is a lifestyle. Now it’s time to live it.


-Josh Hagewood

Josh graduated from Rutgers University in 2009 with undergraduate degrees in History and Geography. Subscribe to our feed for more posts from Josh.

Leave a Response