A Day in the Life of an MBA student



When my alarm sounds at 9:00 AM, I wish I could have a few more hours in the day.  I had always been very involved as an undergraduate at QU, but my free time has been significantly reduced since becoming a graduate student.  But before I go any further—I don’t want you to get the wrong idea—I LOVE my busy life and all the activities that I have chosen to be a part of (but, you know, it would be nice to have 27 hours in the day). 

My day usually starts in the Graduate Admissions office on the North Haven campus, where I help create new designs for the mass e-mails that are sent out to remind prospective students about upcoming information sessions.  I also help my boss prepare for events and keep in contact with students who are interested in the many graduate programs that QU offers.  What I value most about my graduate assistantship is the general helpfulness and friendliness of the people I work with.

From work, I usually have time for a snack on the way to my classes, which include: Statistics, Cost Accounting, Managerial Economics, International Business, and a graduate case study course.  I decided to stay for the fifth-year fast track MBA program sometime in my junior year when almost all my older friends were having trouble securing a job after graduation.  The timing was right to stay in school and finish up my MBA, which would give the economy another year to pick up before I take my first step into the “real world.”

When I get home from classes, it’s time for dinner before I head off to my QWMBA meeting.  Quinnipiac Women MBAs is a fairly young organization at QU that is comprised of women who are already in the MBA program or upperclassmen undergraduate women who have interest in the program.  As the Chief Information Officer, I take the minutes of every meeting, update and maintain the calendar and keep track of important contacts.  We recently selected Alianza Americana as our charitable cause, as it is located in Nicaragua and a majority of the QWMBA officers have selected Nicaragua as our MBA660 study-abroad course.

After my meeting and during time in between my responsibilities, I find time for homework and studying.  Having little free time has forced me to plan out my days and allocate time for studying so that I don’t end up having a night-before cramming session. 

Whenever I start thinking that I am too busy, I ask myself the same question…”What exactly would I do with extra free time?”  Of course, the possibilities are endless and include activities that are both productive and unproductive.  That’s when I remember that I made the right decision, because every night when I end my day I feel a sense of accomplishment, belonging, and satisfaction that I would not trade for all the free time in the world.



“A charming woman is a busy woman.”
-Loretta Young


-Julia Notar-Francesco

Julia graduated in 2010 from Quinnipiac University with an undergraduate degree in Marketing. Subscribe to our feed for more posts from Julia!

Leave a Response