Opportunites provided by The Pathologists’ Assistants program

Opportunities are the foundation for success. The foundation for my success is being laid as I further my education at Quinnipiac University. The Pathologists’ Assistants program at QU has provided me so many opportunities in a variety of environments. I have had the opportunity to be a graduate assistant and work with second year students during my first year in school. I have also been able to talk to potential PA students about the application process and what to expect if they are accepted. As part of clinical rotations and a scholarship to the AAPA conference, I have been able to travel to various parts of the US. I have also been able to network with many QU alumni in looking for the perfect job. QU alumni currently make up the highest number of active PA’s in the field. Their jobs vary from small community hospitals to large, academic centers. Insight into different job environments is a simple phone call away.

For me, the most rewarding opportunity being provided is to be able to work in various laboratory settings. I have seen and worked on a variety of surgical and autopsy cases, which include rare and low percentage cancers, and pathology that is worth photographing. Our clinical supervisor and program director work hard to make sure the students are provided the best learning environment and clinical opportunities. Our PA program is unmatched thanks to our leadership. Those involve with this program make certain they select people that will continue to uphold the reputation that QU has worked hard to attain.

As the deadline for application into QU’s PA program nears, potential applicants should consider applying early and making sure their application reflects a strong, driven and successful individual. Remember to have someone proof read any material that will be submitted. Keep in mind that as more people are applying to professional schools, the competitiveness is also increasing. Be patient with the application process.

-Nancy Mendoza Pathologists' Assistant 2012

Leave a Response