The Clinical Experience for a Pathologists' Assistant

A few months ago I was a new second year pathologists’ assistant student at the Mayo Clinic. I was a bit intimidated, to say the least! But being around QU alumni made me feel welcome and reassured. I spent the summer in Minnesota, along with one of my classmates, and our knowledge base was probably doubled in a few weeks. I met so many incredibly intelligent and interesting people who helped me ‘find my way’. I am so grateful to have had the opportunity to work in such a prestigious institution!

The rotation that followed was in CT and a little less exciting than the Mayo Clinic. The rotation through the VA Hospital allowed me to work on my communication and problem- solving skills. During this rotation, one of my classmates and I, spent a week in San Francisco, CA for the American Association of Pathologists’ Assistants. We were awarded student scholarships to attend the conference based on an essay. The conference provided an amazing opportunity to network with current PA’s and listen to lectures given by published and well-known pathologists. As part of the scholarship, we had to present a poster or give an oral presentation on the topic of our choice! I presented a poster on the technique of creating a good brain smear for immediate diagnosis. My classmate, Nicole, gave an oral presentation on the Dr. Harvey Cushing tumor registry at Yale University. The trip also allowed us to visit and explore San Francisco! While there, we visited the Golden Gate Bridge and Alcatraz, among other attractions!

Currently, I am on my third rotation in Syracuse, NY in Crouse Hospital. The PA’s who work here are graduates from the QU program and know exactly how to approach my learning experience. Each day, I am provided my own set of specimens for the day. I am responsible for grossing and completing my gross dictation, with the help of the PA’s, of course! I am so excited to work with such wonderful people! I am also happy to be able to explore NY in the fall!

Quinnipiac’s Pathologists’ Assistants program is challenging, but the challenges allow us to find our way at work and in our personal lives. I am so proud of what we do and of the program that is providing me the opportunity to become a knowledgeable and capable PA.

-Nancy Mendoza Pathologists' Assistant 2012


Leave a Response