A Day in the Life of an MAT Student

After graduating with my English degree I was quick to continue with my Masters program at Quinnipiac, and by quick I mean the day immediately following undergraduate graduation. At first I was a little bit overwhelmed that lots of my friends were moving home and applying for jobs while I was stuck with another year of school. I was overwhelmed that I already had homework due for the following week when I was still celebrating my graduation. My mind was screaming “take me back to senior week!” Not sure how I was going to pull off an entire summer full of classes I began my fifth year as an MAT student. It was my motivation of wanting to become the best teacher I could be and that having a Master’s degree would look extraordinary on a resume that kept me focused and eager to learn.

The stresses of classwork seemed to diminish as I began to understand that professors and classmates were all very supportive. I truly feel that the bonds and relationships made through classes that summer were essential to the experience. All professors were ready and willing to help with any and all questions or problems. The primary classes in the MAT program really helped to set strong foundations for what was to come the upcoming fall semester. Through lots of hard work, dedication, and also some fun the summer came to a close and fall began.

I must admit that once the fall came my entire schedule changed. I no longer had the convenience of sleeping until noon and attending classes from three to nine. I now had to be at a high school every morning by seven. This meant that I was now going to bed at about nine every night. At first my roommates (I live in a three bedroom apartment with two other girls in the MBA program) would make fun of me but as the semester went on it seemed that they were in bed as well. We joke that we live in a “Retirement home” because we all seem to fall asleep extremely early. We have become “almost real people” in the fact that we no longer go out with friends during the week, but we definitely take advantage of Friday nights and spend Saturday mornings sleeping in.

The way the MAT program works for fifth year secondary education students is that students start their internships at a designated middle or high school in the fall. I started my internship at a high school in Wallingford. The entire night before my first day I was so nervous I could barely sleep. What should I wear? What if I mess up? What if I don’t know what I’m doing? All of these fears were completely cleared up when I entered the building and was greeted by the Principal and numerous faculty members. Everyone was very supportive and more then ready to help me out or give me advice. I have now been subbing around the school for about a month and really feel that I belong here. I do get the occasional jokes from the students that I look like a student or the occasional teacher who asks for my hall pass and I can’t help but laugh. I may look young but thanks to my classroom management courses I know how to make my presence known in the classroom. I love the interactions that I get to have with the students on a day-to-day basis and really feel that my experiences at my internship are imperative to my learning experience as a teacher. My experiences within the school are only going to enhance once I begin student teaching my own classroom in the winter. I am looking forward to it a lot! I recommend this program to anyone who is interested. Please stay posted for my next update!

-Arielle Fischer, M.A.T. 2012

Leave a Response