The Start of the Spring Semester

As I glance out my window and see the snow piling up, I can't help but dream about summer. I am in my last semester of graduate school and I am counting down the days until graduation. Winter break is over and I have to say, it was very relaxing. I caught up on television shows, read books for fun, and spend a lot of time with friends and family.

Over the weekend, the butterflies gradually built up. I am usually very nervous when a new semester begins. This time, things are a little bit different. As I mentioned before, I have the same girls in all of my classes. I started to get really excited to see them all last night. I saw a few over winter break, but a lot of them are from out of state. All of a sudden, I realized how silly I was being. I couldn't wait to see my friends and I am excited about the courses I am taking.

Well, my first class of the semester, Public Relations Writing was last night. It's the only class I had so far, but I can already tell it is going to be my favorite one. The ad-junct professor, Kathy Lewton, runs her own public relations firm called Lewton, Seekins, & Trester. This is why I love Quinnipiac. The PR program has a fantastic mix of scholarly full time professors, along with experienced ad-junct professors. Kathy got started in PR in 1971 and is knowledgable in all types of PR. We are going to learn AP style and learn to write on a deadline. She said after we are done with this course, we are going to have a great portfolio for future employers!

The rest of my courses are Public Relations Management, Strategic Planning, and Research Design. I am also taking an online course called Writing for Interactive Media (perfect compliment to my PR writing course!). My first semester of the program was an introduction to the discipline, while this semester promises to be a more hands-on and creative experience. To me, the curriculum is perfect. I do not have a PR background, so last semester gave me a strong foundation in PR and this semester will definitely hone my skills as a communicator. I am so excited to attend the rest of my courses!

--Randi Iaco

Randi graduated in 2009 from Central CT State University with an undergraduate degree in Marketing. Subscribe to our feed for more posts from Randi.

Leave a Response