A Home At Quinnipiac

I come from an undergraduate university with a total population of over 12,000 students.  I’m used to large classes, crowded classrooms and hallways, and never being able to find a seat in the dining hall.  For graduate school, I was looking for an entirely different experience.

Quinnipiac University is the perfect size for me.  QU has 3 campuses: Mt. Carmel, North Haven, and York Hill.  The graduate communications program at Quinnipiac is on the Mt. Carmel campus.  The campus is nestled by a soaring mountain, and the environment is quiet and serene.   However, the campus is not isolated; it is about 15 minutes from my apartment and, just down the road, Route 10 offers plenty to do.

I feel welcomed by the Quinnipiac community.  I study in the gorgeous Arnold Bernhard Library, I eat lunch in the café, I take advantage of workshops, and I use the gym regularly.  When I got sick, I was able to utilize Health Services and if I have free time, I take part in student activities.

I have about 15 students in each of my classes. I have created real friendships with the other girls in my program.  We study together, we go out together, and we even go to the gym together!  I’ve never been able to cultivate relationships in my huge undergraduate school, so the fact that I have made some really good friends just makes me feel at home at Quinnipiac.

My professors know me by name. They work closely with me and know my interests and educational goals.  The Public Relations program is on the small side, but I believe that is an advantage.  My professors actually listen to the feedback we give them.  I don’t think I would get that anywhere else.
It is just past midterm and I can’t believe how far I have come.

This semester, I started off completely shy and unsure of myself.  However, I made some really great relationships and my professors have been guiding me along.  The PR program is intense, but it is never enough to make me regret my decision.  It’s time to pick out my classes for the spring semester. I am just 5 classes away from graduating in May!

-Randi Iaco

Randi graduated in 2009 from Central CT State University with an undergraduate degree in Marketing. Subscribe to our feed for more posts from Randi!

Leave a Response